Monday, April 22, 2013

Leading up to her arrival...

When planning for the arrival of my second born I envisioned millions of photos and had the camera and light all charged and happy. We had discussed buying a larger memory card as well as a remote. We were serious.
Than I went in for my schedule NST at 37 weeks 6 days. Originally they were scheduled starting at 32 weeks to monitor the baby and my gestational hypertension. But at our 37 week 0 day NST my AFI count dipped to just about 5cm from the previous week of 9.9cm, so the Dr in charge put in requests for an induction that day, insisting that I get a hold of Nick and arrange pick up for Shane who was in school at the time. I freaked. Nothing packed at home. Total anxiety attack about who would pick my first baby up from school. Would he know their car by sight. Would he freak out I wasn't there.
Upset and crying I headed on over to Labor & Delivery. Nick was on his way and a girlfriend was going to get Shane.
Once in L&D they put me in a delivery room for monitoring, since all their triage rooms were taken. Nick had joined me at this time and we waited, hooked to machines, for a few hours. They wanted me to be fully hydrated so I was drinking water like crazy. A midwife who had spoken to the Dr came in to do an ultrasound on the baby, reconfirming that she was in fact a little girl! A few more pockets of fluid were found, the Midwife commented on how thick and healthy my placenta looked as well as how nice and fat her cord was. It was determined that I could be discharged as she felt there was enough fluid at this time but to continue drinking plenty of water.
Nick and I headed out to lunch at this time where I received a phone call from the Midwife stating that she had spoken to the Dr again and he was not happy I had left and they had come to a compromise that I would return in two days for another AFI count.
At this additional appt the Dr was happy that the count hadn't  changed much. Baby had a full bladder and pockets combining 5.9cm.
The following Monday, 37 weeks 6 days, I had my normal NST as well as my 38 week appt with my OB. I made sure my bags were packed, nails polished and legs shaved so they were sure to let me leave this time! But my AFI count had now dropped below 5 and my OB came in to check for himself. It was decided that today we would induce. For real, for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment